Sunday, March 13, 2016

Day 7 - March 13


The Joy of Mercy Online Lenten Retreat
Day 7 – March 13
Today’s Theme: “What Difference Can I Make?”

Today’s Scripture
And the king will answer them, “Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.” -- Matthew 25:40

Fr. Kempf’s Reflection
   Given the enormity of the suffering in this world, it can often feel like we have so little to offer. But we must do what we can.
   Once a woman brought her young child to see a concert by the great pianist Ignacy Paderewski. Before the concert, she was talking to a friend sitting next to her and didn’t notice that her son had slipped away until the lights dimmed. As the curtains opened she saw to her horror that her son was sitting at the concert piano plunking out the tune “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.”
   At that very moment, Paderewski came out to begin. He saw the child and realized what was happening. So he slipped in behind the young boy and whispered, “Keep playing.” As the little boy played the tune “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star” with one finger, Paderewski put his hands on either side and began to fill in a wonderful accompaniment, to the delight of the entire crowd. They both bowed, and the little boy went back to Mom.
   And so it is with our efforts to reach out to those who are hurting in any way. We can’t fix it all. But we can offer our simple bit of help, and God, the master musician, fills in around us to make something wonderful from our simple efforts.
(Excerpted from Two Minutes Toward Meaningful Living)

When or how have I experienced God, the master musician, “filling in around me” to make something wonderful from my efforts?
When and how might God be able to do this if I only gave God the chance?

Today’s Prayer
Merciful God, make me an instrument of your peace. Help me to do my part to make a difference in this world.
Published by special arrangement with Creative Communications for the Parish.

Used with Permission.  All Rights Reserved.  

No comments:

Post a Comment